This dish was cooked by my MIL during my first visit post wedding. She made it in a jiffy and served it hot. I call it “Athai Bonda”. I even don’t mind to take a plate full of this. It is so yummy 🙂 The usual recipe has maida in large and little cooking soda.But as I am always against using “white elements” much in cooking,she had customised the dish recipe as below for me.
- Maida-1/2 cup
- Corn Flour-1/4 cup
- Rice flour-1/4 cup
- Curd-3/4 cup(Thick and slightly sour)
- Sugar-1 tbsp
- Salt-To taste
- Onion-1/2 cup finely chopped
- Green chilly-2 (Finely chopped)
- Water-If required
- In a mixing bowl add all the flours,sugar,salt and slowly mix it with curd.
- Mix it without any lumps until you get a soft batter which can be made into small balls.
- You can add little water if you don’t achieve the consistency.
- Set it aside for 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion,green chilly and mix.
- Dip your hand in water and gather the batter into small balls and deep fry in oil to make bonda.
- Serve it hot.(The most important part of this bonda).
Sour curd and sugar+salt acts as natural yeast. So use of cooking soda can be eliminated.
You can try the same with only maida flour.
Coconut chutney is the best combo.
You can add chopped coconut too.
When you dip your hand in water and gather the batter into ball , if the ball drops without breaking in the oil,it indicates the right consistency
Please do not forget to stay tuned with me by liking my facebook page here or follow me on Twitter or PINTEREST. You can also receive all my recipes in your mail box by providing your mail id here. Do share this with your kith and kin.If you have a picture of recipe tried from my blog kindly share with me.I am privileged to share them in my page