This is another version of sambhar from my MIL.The sambhar powder is prepared fresh at home and added,thus the name “arachuvita sambhar”.The choice of vegetable is yours (Brinjal,Carrot,Potato,Pumpkin,Drum stick,shallots,raw mango). I am giving you a version with carrot and potato. This goes well with rice,idly,dosa. The entire house will be surrounded by sambhar flavour if you opt for this on a day.
- Tomato-1 medium sized
- Toor dhal-1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder-A pinch
- Hing-1/4 tbsp
- Salt-To taste
- Oil-To cook
- Tamarind-A marble sized
To dry roast and powder:
- Toor dhal-1/2 tbsp
- Coriander seeds-1/2 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds-1/2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds-1/4 tbsp
- Red chilly-1
- Mustard seeds-1/4 tbsp
- Urad dhal-1/4 tbsp
- Curry leaves
- Wash and soak the toor dhal for 10 minutes.
- Pressure cook the dhal and set it aside after mashing.
- In a kadai,dry roast the ingredients given under”To dry roast and powder”.Once they cool powder it finely.
- Add oil to a fresh kadai and temper with mustard seeds,urad and curry leaves.
- Saute onion and tomato until they get cooked.
- Now add turmeric powder,hing and salt and let it boil.
- After 5 minutes add the powder prepared and mix the sambhar well.
- When it begins to boil add the dhal(mashed) and give a quick stir.
- Finally add the tamarind extract and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Serve it hot after garnishing with chopped coriander leaves.
Adjust the level of tamarind based upon the taste of tomato.
Do not prefer bangalore tomato for this.
If you are adding raw mango to this sambhar,omit tomato and add very little amount of tamarind extract.
Dry roast in medium flame.
Please do not forget to stay tuned with me by liking my facebook page here or follow me on Twitter or PINTEREST. You can also receive all my recipes in your mail box by providing your mail id here. Do share this with your kith and kin.If you have a picture of recipe tried from my blog kindly share with me.I am privileged to share them in my page