The name itself means “mixed rice”. It is nothing but a traditional version of our vegetable biriyani/rice. A very nutritious dish which is made of all pulses and vegetables.
Boiled rice-1 cup
Toor dhal-1/4 cup
Gram dhal-1/8 cup
Tamarind Extract-50 ml
Mustard seeds-1/4 tbsp
Urad dhal-1/4 tbsp
Coconut grated-2 tbsp
Cumin seeds-1/4 tbsp
Vegetables comprise of 10 shallots,2 green chillies,finely chopped pieces of onion,potato,elephant yam,snake gourd,broad beads,plantain,brinjal,colocasia(seppankilangu),drumstick,drumstick leaves,raw mango and araikeerai.
- Pressure cook vegetables like potato,elephant yam,colocasia and set it aside.
- Saute vegetables like shallots,snake gourd,onion,board beans,green chilly and set it aside
- Add 7 cups of water and add washed dhals,rice and rest of the vegetables and mix well.
- Now add tamarind extract,turmeric powder and salt.
- Add vegetables pressure cooked and sauteed and mix it well.
- Let the rice cook well in the open pan. Keep mixing to avoid burning in the bottom.
- In a kadai temper mustard seeds,urad dhal and red chilly.
- Deep fry vadagam and appalam.
- Add results of step 7 and 8 to the rice and mix well.
- When the rice and dhal is cooked, mix well and serve it hot.
Please do not forget to stay tuned with me by liking my facebook page here or follow me on Twitter or PINTEREST. You can also receive all my recipes in your mail box by providing your mail id here. Do share this with your kith and kin.If you have a picture of recipe tried from my blog kindly share with me.I am privileged to share them in my page