Cheese Paratha-This was introduced to me by my roommate Gargi when I was working in Chennai. She makes lovely, soft, yummy, delicious parathas in a minute.I then made a habit to have it in my college canteen whenever I skipped cooking. (Hardly a day or two).The canteen guy makes excellent paneer parathas.
Seeing my roommates and canteen walas I learnt this paratha making. I am writing down the recipe of cheese paratha. The same method of rolling and flattening can be used in any paratha making. Only the stuffing differs. Why don’t you have a try? The best alternative to routine roti/chappathi. And the best of parathas are no need of any gravy. Any raitha/pickle would serve an accompaniment.
For the dough:
- Wheat flour-500 g(This will serve approximately 8 to 10 parathas)
- Salt-To taste
- Water-As needed
- Milk-1/4 cup(lukewarm)
For the stuffing:
- Grated cheese-1 and 1/2 cups
- Onion-1 cup finely chopped
- Chilly powder-1 tbsp
- Salt-To taste
- Ajwain-A pinch
- Oil-To cook
Ghee-To make parathas
Wheat flour-To dust
Cheese Paratha Recipe:
1. Mix salt with a half a cup of water and add the wheat flour to it.
2. Knead it into a smooth dough by adding water and lukewarm milk.
3. Cover it with a damp cloth and set it aside for 30 minutes/1 hours.
4. Heat oil in a pan and saute onion to a golden brown.
5. Add chilly powder, salt and ajwain.
6. Switch off the stove, remove the pan and add the grated cheese.
7. Give a quick stir and transfer to a plate and let it cool.
8. Make medium sized balls out of the dough.
9. Use the rolling pin and flatten it into a small circle.
10. Take a spoon(as per your wish) of stuffing and place on the circular dough.
11. Close it as shown in the picture and make it into a ball again.
12. Dust the stuffed dough with wheat flour and use your palms to flatten the paratha.
13.Turn it ,dust it and flatten the paratha.
14.Heat the dosa tawa and grease it with ghee.
15. Cook the paratha in medium flame and add ghee.
16. Turn it to the other side and cook both the sides evenly.
17. Repeat the same for rest of the dough.
18. Serve it hot with any pickle/raitha.
Adding lukewarm milk softens the dough. It is purely optional.
I used home made cheese.You can also use mozzarella/cheddar cheese.
Using the rolling pin to flatten might exert excess pressure and leak the stuffing.So I prefer flattening gradually with palm.
You can also cook with oil instead of ghee.
If the paratha is perfect then it would turn fluffy on your tawa as in the above picture.
You also add cheese to the onion mixture after it cools.
Please do not forget to stay tuned with me by liking my facebook page here or follow me on Twitter or PINTEREST. You can also receive all my recipes in your mailbox by providing your mail id here. Do share this with your kith and kin.If you have a picture of the recipe tried from my blog kindly share with me.I am privileged to share them in my page