Over to the post….Feeling elated to write a guest post for Kitchen Kathukutty. Kalyani is a very good friend and I am amazed by the importance that she gives to the health quotient in all her recipes. If you are a new mother or if you have a fussy toddler, Kitchen Kathukutty is the one stop for all your queries on “How to feed your child/What to feed your child etc etc”. Really appreciate Kalyani’s posts on baby food and her analysis and research on providing quality info regarding the same. Great job Kalyani 🙂Now off to my recipe. This is a very basic gravy prepared with mushrooms. This can be paired up with any mild main dish like pulaos or just hot steamed rice. Mushrooms are super good for your health but most vegetarians (including my family!! :() avoid it. But once you try it out, you will love it. It is infact vegetarian. Mushrooms are a great source of Vitamin D, boost your immunity, improve metabolism and are really good for the bladder. So,if you haven’t laid your hands on mushrooms yet, it is high time you start eating it.
Mushroom GravyServes: 3Preparation Time; 10 minutesCooking Time: 20 minutes
Mushroom GravyIngredients:Button Mushrooms – 400 gmOnions – 3 bigTomatoes – 3Coriander Powder – 1 tspCumin Powder – 1/2 tspGaram Masala – 1/2 tspChilli Powder – 3/4 tspSugar – 1/2 tspCumin Seeds – 1 tspFresh Cream – 1 tbsp (optional)Butter – 1 tbspSalt – To taste
Method:1. Wash mushroom and pat them dry. Chop them into pieces.2. Heat water in a pan and once it begins to boil, drop the mushroom pieces and leave them in the hot water for about 5 minutes. Drain and keep aside.3. Heat butter in a pan. Once it sizzles, add onions and saute till they turn pink.4. Now add chopped tomatoes and little salt. Saute till then turn soft and mushy.5. Add all the powders and saute for 3 minutes.6. Let this cool down. Once cooled, blend the above into a smooth paste.7. Heat little butter in a pan. Add cumin seeds and once they splutter, add mushrooms and saute till they leave water and all the water is evaporated.8. Now add the onion-tomato paste and mix well. Add enough water to get a gravy consistency.
9. When the gravy begins to boil, add fresh cream, sugar and salt. Simmer for some more time.10. Garnish with coriander leaves.
As I found this recipe to be very simple,I felt to write the below topic “Mushroom for Babies”.
How to choose and store?
Health Benefits of Mushrooms:
- Mushrooms are rich in Vitamin D as stated earlier and it helps in growing a strong bone system.
- It is an excellent storehouse of iron and hence helps in building new blood cells and increasing hemoglobin.
- The immuno modulatory properties of mushroom help in building a healthy immune system
- The bio chemicals present in mushrooms help in protecting the liver and researches even have proved that they have helped in betterment of liver conditions after liver infections and jaundice
- They have high amounts of Vitamin B ,niacin and riboflavin which help in skin health and vision development.
Check other recipes with mushrooms here
Please do not forget to stay tuned with me by liking my facebook page here or follow me on Twitter or PINTEREST. You can also receive all my recipes in your mail box by providing your mail id here. Do share this with your kith and kin.If you have a picture of recipe tried from my blog kindly share with me.I am privileged to share them in my page