Kambu Koozh/Pearl Millet Porridge is one of the traditional dishes of South India. It is a naturally fermented filling and healthy breakfast. It is a staple food for all hard working and honourable farmers. It keeps them cool and strong. I am sharing the traditional method of making the kambu koozh(Excuse the pressure cooker & mixer use). We include millets in our weekly menu at least thrice and I have tried making everything with millets from the modern cookies/cakes to the traditional koozh/soru.
I have been a fan of kambu koozh sold in all tiny roadside shops in Coimbatore. I used to crave for it and the taste is just heavenly. It was my beloved best half who first tried this in our kitchen 4 years back and I made this again today to make a recipe post of kambu koozh. Kambu sadham and kambu Koozh/Kambu Soru is one of the common healthy dishes from our hardworking clan of people. Pearl Millet/Kambu/Bajra is rich in calcium and phosphorus. This can be offered to babies above 6 months without salt. Please check all my healthy recipes and details of millets here
Kambu Koozh Recipe:
- Pearl Millet-1/2 cup
- Water-3 cups
- Salt-To taste
- Curd-1/4 cup or Buttermilk-1/2 cup
- Green CHilly-1
1. Measure all the ingredients and keep them ready.
2. Clean, wash and rinse pearl millet well.
3. Soak it for 8 to 10 hours.
4. Drain the excess water and give it a run in pulse mode(one run)
5. Add water to this, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
6. When the pressure is released, boil the mixture by stirring to make it slightly thick(If required)
7. Cool the mixture and allow it to ferment overnight after adding salt.
8. Next day morning add curd/buttermilk and serve the kambu koozh.
This can be made with broken pearl millet too. It would be easier to make. You might have to soak for 3 to 4 hours only.
You can also make it in a similar way like ragi koozh with kambu maavu/pearl millet flour.
Fermentation adds more nutrients, however you may skip the part too.
Kambu Koozh is usually served with raw shallots, green chilly,fryums, pickles and mor milagai.
Ensure to have introduced all items before and eliminate allergies.
Always have a word with your doctor before introducing any new food to babies.
Please do not forget to stay tuned with me by liking my facebook page here or follow me on Twitter or PINTEREST. You can also receive all my recipes in your mailbox by providing your mail id here. Do share this with your kith and kin.If you have a picture of recipe tried from my blog kindly share with me.I am privileged to share them on my page