Chettinadu Urulai Curry-Chettinadu cuisine is known for its unique flavours and taste. We had bought a bag of small potatoes and I had to make different recipes with it to finish the stock. I made a biriyani, simple gravies, deep fry, shallow fry and tikka. I had this recipe in my mind for a long time and I tried as I had to finish the stock too. The recipe of Chettinad Urulai Curry/Small Potato Gravy is very simple and it can be made in a jiffy. We relished it with rice. You can serve the Chettinad Urulai Curry with dosa/idly and even rotis. Today being teachers day I extend my warm wishes and heartfelt gratitude to all my teachers through my school and college and all my mentors at work and life. This is the noblest profession and I salute all real noble souls.
Chettinadu Urulai Curry Recipe:
- Baby Potato-10
- Tomato -2
- Ginger-A small piece
- Garlic-7 pods
- Coriander Seeds-1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds-1/4 tsp
- Red Chilly-1
- Oil-To cook
- Salt-to taste
Coriander Leaves -To garnish
- Mustard Seeds-1/4 tsp
- Fennel Seeds-1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves-Handful
1. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
2. Wash the baby potatoes and slit the skin.
3.Pressure cook for 3-5 whistles.
4. Cool and peel them. Set them aside.
5. In a pan add oil and roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds.
6. Then add tomatoes, onion, ginger, garlic and saute till they turn soft.
7. Cool it and grind into a smooth paste.
8. In the same pan add the ground paste and let it boil.
9. As it simmers add the baby potatoes.
10. Finally, add salt, give it stir. Temper with mustard seeds, fennel seeds and curry leaves
11. Garnish with coriander leaves. Chettinad Urulai Curry is ready to serve.
I have skipped the spices part and adding coconut.I shall make a separate recipe with that variation.
Adjust red chilly as per your taste.
Don’t let it boil for more than 10 minutes.
Babies above 6 months can be given this without salt and reduced spices.
Consult with your doctor before offering any new food to the baby.
Consider the family history of allergies before introducing any new food to baby
Be sure to have eliminated doubts of allergies of each ingredient before offering this to the baby.
Please do not forget to stay tuned with me by liking my facebook page here or follow me on Twitter or Pinterest. You can also receive all my recipes in your mailbox by providing your mail id here. Do share this with your kith and kin. If you have a picture of recipe tried from my blog kindly share with me. I am privileged to share them on my page