Whole Wheat Pizza Base Recipe:
Last Saturday, my little munchkin turned six and he wanted pizza instead of cakes. He was fascinated by the pizza cutter I believe. Homemade pizza is something which we (Basically My husband) has attempted making and we weren’t patient to click the pictures and draft for the blog. Since it was his birthday special, I made some early plans and captured the step by step images for the whole wheat pizza base recipe to share with you.
Whole Wheat Pizza Base Recipe
This can be made with your oven, OTG and on a tawa or a kadai. Before you begin baking please read the post completely and begin doing. I have used the base recipe similar to my garlic bread recipe. I even got the guts to replace the sugar to jaggery. For the temperature settings, I referred here
I made the base separately and then made variants with the base made. I still have one frozen inside. You can also bake everything together like multigrain pizza recipe
Check out veg paneer pizza recipe here.
- Warm water-1/2 cup+1 cup (For kneading)
- Powdered Jaggery-1 tsp
- Active dry yeast-1 tsp
- Wheat flour-1 cup+1/4 cup (For dusting & kneading)
- Salt-To taste
- Water-to knead dough
- Oil-2 tbsp & grease
This will make you 4 pizza bases of the below size.
If you have instant dry yeast, you can use that too and skip the proofing part alone. Making Pizza without yeast is also possible(Though I wouldn’t suggest attempting). Please read my tips below on the same. I would prefer yeast to baking powder and baking soda as yeast is comparatively healthier.
Whole Wheat Pizza Base Recipe
1. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
2.Sieve whole wheat flour for 5-8 times. This will help in getting a soft, less dense pizza base.
3. In a bowl add the powdered jaggery and dissolve in warm water.
4. Now add the yeast and completely dissolve it. The water must be warm and not hot/lukewarm.
5. Close and keep the dissolved yeast solution for 15 minutes.
6. It would have turned frothy.
7. Now add the yeast mixture to flour+salt.
8. Add water and make a slightly sticky dough.
9. Stretch and knead well for 10-15 minutes until the dough becomes completely non-sticky. Place the dough on a flat surface and stretch and knead again and again to reach the non-sticky dough form. Dust with some flour if necessary. This is a crucial step.
10. Close and keep the dough for 30 minutes to 2-3 hours (Till the dough doubles up). The time will depend on the atmospheric temperature.
LET THE DOUGH DOUBLE UP
11. After the dough has risen, Punch well and let the air escape.
12. Now knead it well and divide into balls. Preheat the OTG at 150 degrees for 10 minutes.
13. Flatten and make the base. Don’t press hard. Prick some holes and allow the gas to escape.
14. Dust the flour on the tray and carefully place the base.
15. Bake for 7 minutes at 150 degrees C. Insert a toothpick or fork and check for doneness. It came out clean for me after 7 minutes.
16. Cool the baked base on a wire rack.
17. The whole-wheat pizza base is ready.
Making pizza without an oven ( In kadai or cooker):
Be it any baked goodie there is no separate recipe for baking with oven & without oven. The recipe remains the same. The set up is only different.
Prefer using a kadai for making cakes/cookies/pizza if you don’t have an oven to cookers. Cookers get depleted if you use for baking.
The below in the setup. This is from millet cookies recipe.
In a wide-bottomed thick pan, add salt and close and preheat in medium flame for 10 minutes.
Place a stand on the sand and then you can place a tray and keep your cookies/cake or pizza base.
For pizza, without oven I would suggest you bake along with the toppings for 10-12 minutes in low flame instead of just baking the base first. That’s how my man used to bake before with owned OTG.
Baking without yeast:
If a recipe says, 1 tsp of yeast you can substitute with half tsp baking soda + half tsp lime juice. You don’t have to proof the dough in this case. The results might not be similar to those using yeast. The dough should get into the oven asap. No resting.
If the yeast doesn’t froth as I have shown please discard and use a new one.
Kneading and stretching the dough is the crucial part.
I used gingelly oil.
Go through the manual to fix the preheat temperature and timings and mode.
The more you sieve the less dense your output would be.
You can freeze them and use within 15 days.
Just bring to normal temperature and bake with the toppings.
Please do not forget to stay tuned with me by liking my facebook page here or follow me on Twitter or Pinterest or Instagram or join my exclusive women group here. You can also receive all my recipes in your mailbox by providing your mail id here. Do share this with your kith and kin. If you have a picture of a recipe tried from my blog kindly share with me. I shall share them on my page