Ragi/Finger millet or கேழ்வரகு is one of the miracle grains/millets and it is an abundant source of nutrition. It is one of the first foods for babies and also a very traditional grain of India. I have been incorporating millets in my cooking once or twice in a week and you can find my detailed writeup on MILLETS and various recipes of millets here. This pancake idea has been in my mind for a long time and I was hunting for pancake recipes without COOKING SODA & EGG. I found few alternatives for them and I am trying those. In the meantime yesterday evening my mother in law’s recipe of sweet ragi roti flashed my mind. I made small modifications and made a very quick INDO AMERICAN “ராகி/ கேழ்வரகு pancake”. It tasted yummm and it came out so soft melted in our mouths. The best part of this recipe is it is so instant and quick. All you need is 10 minutes and your super healthy yummy pancake is ready. This can be your breakfast/dinner/snack. This can be offered to babies who have completely 6 months of age after having introduced the ingredients individually.
Ingredients: (Makes 3)
- Home made Ragi Flour-1/2 cup
- Grated Jaggery-2 tbsp.
- Water-1/2 cup (Approx.)
- Salt-A pinch
- Banana-1 small/1/2 of big banana
- Oil-To grease
- I have used home made sprouted ragi flour. You can use store bought flour too.
- The batter consistency shouldn’t be too watery or too thick. So be careful while adding water.
- For babies below one year you can skip jaggery and salt.
- I added nendran banana and I purposefully let the banana pieces stay unmashed. You can completely make it into a paste and add to the batter.
- No settling time is required and It stays soft even after cooling.
- Adding nendran banana itself provides sufficient sweetness.
- Choose a ripe banana. Otherwise it would turn bitter.
- If you are using nendran/kerela banana remove the black centre part and mash for babies below one year as it might create indigestion.
- The tava shouldn’t get too hot while cooking.
- The colour depends on jaggery used.
- Please consult your doctor before introducing any new food to babies
Please do not forget to stay tuned with me by liking my facebook page here or follow me on Twitter or PINTEREST. You can also receive all my recipes in your mail box by providing your mail id here. Do share this with your kith and kin.If you have a picture of recipe tried from my blog kindly share with me.I am privileged to share them in my page