Vegetable Dum Biryani Recipe:
That is a long break which I have taken and here is the vegetable dum biryani recipe coming to you after waiting on my drafts for 2 long weeks. With continuous travels and back to back sickness cycle, I had to stay out of blogging. Either of us keeps falling sick and the recovery hasn’t happened completely still.
The vegetable dum biryani recipe came out extremely well on one random day. This is not the authentic recipe but just a successful trial and one of the easiest ways. Yeah, I call it easy because I made this in the morning rush hour. You may find my seeraga samba biriyani recipe here
Vegetable Dum Biryani Recipe:
- Basmati Rice-1 cup
- Water-1.5 cups for cooking rice+ 1/2 cup for cooking vegetables
- Onion-1(sliced thin)
- Cut vegetables-1 cup
- Double beans-1/4 cup(cooked)
- Chilly Powder-1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder-1/2 tsp
- GGG paste-1/2 tbsp
- Mint leaves-Handful
- Coriander Leaves-Handful
- Salt-To taste
- Ghee -To cook
- Bay Leaf-1
- Cinnamon-A stick
- Fennel -1/4 Tsp
- Poppy Seeds-1/4 tsp
- Star Anise -1
1. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
2. Soak the rice for 30 minutes in warm water, rinse well and cook for 1 whistle in a pressure cooker with a spoon of ghee and 1.5 cups of water. When the pressure is released, fluff the rice.
3. In a heavy-bottomed pan, add ghee and add the items mentioned under “to temper”. Saute them untill raw smell vanishes
4. Now add sliced onions and garam masala powder + chilly powder and the leaves.
5. When the onion turns transparent add the vegetables, GGG paste and give them a quick toss.
6. When everything is mixed, add salt and 1/4 cup water and close and quick until the vegetables get cooked to al dente form.
7. When the water content is gone,place a layer of rice on top of vegetables and close and cook in low flame for 5 minutes.
8. In the meantime place a thick dosa pan on fire and keep it ready.
9. Now carefully place the thick bottomed pan on the dosa pan and close. Place a heavy object on it after closing.
10. Let it get cooked in slow flame for 10 minutes.
11. Finally, add some ghee , sprinkle some mint+coriander leaves and fluff them together.
12. Dum biriyani is ready.
The right measurement for a fluffy biriyani is a total of 1.5 cups of liquid(be it coconut milk or puree or plain water) for 1 cup rice, soaked for 30 minutes.
This can be given to babies above six months without salt.
Always have a word with your doctor before introducing any new food to babies
Adjust the spices as per your taste
You can cook the rice with a clove and bay leaf for more flavour.
Adding deep-fried onions and ghee fried cashews add more richness.
You can use curd instead of water.
The entire process should be in low flame.
Soak double beans overnight and cook for 4 whistles.
Please do not forget to stay tuned with me by liking my facebook page here or follow me on Twitter or Pinterest or Instagram or join my exclusive women group here. You can also receive all my recipes in your mailbox by providing your mail id here. Do share this with your kith and kin. If you have a picture of a recipe tried from my blog kindly share with me. I shallshare them on my page