Mann Kattu Thuvarai Sambhar Sadham:
Mann Kattu Thuvarai Sambhar Sadham is our usual vegetable Bisi Bele bath made with a special toor dhal (Mann Kattu Thuvarai = Soil Treated Toor Dhal). You might wonder what is so special about this recipe. After the Garudan Samba Sambhar Sadham recipe I began loving using traditional rice varieties for sambhar sadham. The split pigeon pea / Thuvarai is harvested and reaped in a traditional way and hence all the nutrients are kept intact. You can find the complete details as you read below
Mann Kattu Thuvarai Sambhar Sadham
When mom tasted this, she exclaimed that after years she was able to feel the original taste of toor dhal which used to come home directly from our own fields. Do you really need any more authenticity check? I know your curiosity is getting built up. This kind of toor dhal will not make you end up in gastric issues.
Let’s see what is Mann kattu thuvarai/ Mann Katti Thuvarai.
This is an ancient technique used to treat and store pigeon peas. Now the pulses are treated in machinery with adulterated oils and all the nutrients are almost nullified. But with Mann kattu thuvarai the nutrients are retained and this acts a natural way avoiding the rotting of the pulse. The dhal is mixed with soil and allowed to get soaked. The process is repeated for 5 times overnight and then allowed to dry in sunlight the next day. The soil isn’t any normal soil. The soil is “Putru Manal”. The famous Tamil literature Kurunthogai has a mention of the aroma involved in this process
“செம்மண் வாசனையும் காந்தள் வாசனையும் இணைந்து இணைந்து துவரை மணிகள் செங்காந்தள் மலரின் வாசனையாக மீளும்”
The flavour is completely different and the nutrients are locked inside. No polishing is done. It is very safe for daily consumption. If you read about the adulteration done in toor dhal processing I am sure you wouldn’t buy them anymore. You would love to switch to mann kattu thuvarai. Contact 91501 85953 to buy. Drop a WhatsApp message to them
Mann Kattu Thuvarai Sambhar Sadham
Try this recipe once and you will never go back. The taste is unmatchable
- Khicili Samba Rice-1 cup
- Toor dhal-1/3 cup ( mann Katti/Mann kattu Thurvarai/ Pigeon Peas)
- Onion -1
- Vegetables -1.5 cups
- Tamarind extract -1/2 cup
- Oil-1 tbsp
- Ghee-1/2 tbsp
- Red Chilly-1
- Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal-1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves-Handful
- Curry leaves-A spring
To dry roast and grind:
- Coriander seeds-1/2 tsp
- Gram dhal-1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly-2
- Coconut-2 tbsp
- Fenugreek-3 (Roast at the end separately)
Vegetables used- Carrot, beans, potato, yam, colocasia, raw banana, brinjal, raw mango, broad beans, cluster beans.
- Soak the rice and dhal overnight or in warm water for an hour.
Wash and chop the vegetables and keep them ready.
- In a pan dry roast coriander seeds, gram dhal, cumin seeds and red chilly. Take them and let them cool. Now dry roast fenugreek and take them out. Finally, dry roast coconut and add this to them. Let everything cool down and finely grind them into a powder.
- In a pressure cooker add oil and saute onions and all vegetables by adding one by one. Add turmeric powder, hing and pressure cook this with 2 cups of water for 1 whistle.
- Now cook rice and dhal for 5 whistles with the ground masala, salt and turmeric.
- When the pressure is released add the tamarind extract and add the vegetables cooked. Give a quick boil till the raw smell of tamarind goes. Add the tempering and serve hot.
- The flavourful sambhar sadham is ready
You can use normal rice too.
To get the right measurements suitable for your family, please try out the traditional rice once and fix on the measurement.
You can adjust the number of vegetables as per your taste.
Feel free to change the quantity of spices as per your taste buds.
You may try the same with the old recipe version too
The process might be long but the taste will be no lesser than what you have from restaurants.
Please do not forget to stay tuned with me by liking my Facebook page here or follow me on Twitter or Pinterest or Instagram or join my exclusive women group here. You can also receive all my recipes in your mailbox by providing your mail id here. Do share this with your kith and kin. If you have a picture of a recipe tried from my blog kindly share with me. I shall share them on my page