EGGLESS COOKER CAKE
The Jingle bells season is here and I am drowned in sweet memories of Christmas Celebrations at school and with my friends. My native(Palayamkottai-Known as Oxford of South India) is also famous for the yummy mouth watering plum cakes/Christmas cakes. We would have them flooding from all our friends a week ahead and most of it will be 100% homemade from scratch. Few even prepare the wine used in preparation at home.
It just tastes heavenly and it was bliss. Before the wedding, my office friends had shared their homemade(mom-made) cakes for me and I really miss them now. All these enormous missing and love for cakes made me attempt a cake with no egg no oven and especially no whites(maida/sugar/milk). Yes, I(We-Hubby shared excellent tips and helped me a lot) did it…As most of you would have known that I run this blog with the purpose of avoiding whites in cooking and spreading the habit of healthy eating across. ( Check this to know the details of the blog purpose in detail. )
EGGLESS COOKER CAKE
When I happen to make a recipe adhering to my purpose, you know I become extremely excited/crazy/happy and I am flying. I loved doing this because I learnt a lot about cake making from my friends. My friends gave me a push and gave all suggestions about replacing eggs, sugar, all-purpose flour. My first attempt with cake making in the cooker(with no whites) was a real hit in the family. With no more delay come let’s get into the recipe.
EGGLESS COOKER CAKE:
- Ragi Flour-3/4 cup
- Wheat Flour-1/4 cup+1 tsp
- Baking Soda-1 tsp
- Jaggery-1/2 cup
- Palm Sugar-1/2 cup
- Oil-1/4 cup
- Water-1/4 cup
- Butter-1 tbsp
EGGLESS COOKER CAKE:
1. Get all the ingredients ready. Remove gasket and whistle of the cooker and keep it in low flame. This is to bring the preheat effect of the oven. (20 – 25 minutes would do)
2.Heat water in a saucepan and add jaggery(powdered/grated) and palm sugar.
3. Stir it well and let in dissolve totally.
4.When it completely dissolved switch it off and filter it for impurities.
5. Let it cool.
6. Mash the banana well and set it aside.
7. In a bowl sieve both the flours together and add 1 tsp of baking soda and mix well.
8. In another bowl add the jaggery+palm sugar syrup, mashed banana, curd, oil and beat them well. These constitute the wet ingredients of the cake.
9. To the wet ingredients, add the flour mixture and beat/mix well.
10. Add the raisins and almonds and mix well.
11. Grease the cake tray/bowl with butter and sprinkle some wheat flour evenly.
12. Now pour the cake mixture into the tray. Ensure that there are no air pores.
13. Place a stand/plate inside the cooker and then place the cake tray.
14. Close it and let it cook for 5 minutes in medium flame.
15. After 5 minutes, keep the flame slow and let it cook for 30-40 minutes.
16. Use a toothpick to check if the cake is completely cooked. When you prick the cake deep inside the toothpick will come out clean when the cake is completely cooked.
17. Remove the cake tray carefully from cooker and cool it.
18. Use a knife and remove it from the tray. Cut into pieces.
19. Serve with love and relish it with no guilt.
Please do not forget to stay tuned with me by liking my facebook page here or follow me on Twitter or PINTEREST. You can also receive all my recipes in your mail box by providing your mail id here. Do share this with your kith and kin.If you have a picture of recipe tried from my blog kindly share with me.I am privileged to share them in my page
You can use chopped walnuts/cashews/tutti fruti also instead of raisins and almonds.
Peel the almonds by soaking in warm water and chop it well.
I used gingelly oil. You can use any cooking oil.
If your banana is very small you might require 4 of it.
Mash the banana completely without any hard lumps.
If you are using a cooker not made of aluminium add two cups of salt in the base and then preheat. This is to ensure the preheat effect of the oven and to safeguard cooker.
Take care to place the cake tray in such a way that it does not rub/touch the surfaces of the cooker.
Use a toothpick to check after 30 minutes, 35 minutes, 40 minutes. Stop the flame at any point of time between 30 to 40 minutes when you find the cake is completely cooker i.e the toothpick comes out clean.
Make an even coating of butter on flour and tray. This will help you to get a non-sticky cake and taking the cake out of tray would be easy.
Do read the instructions in the baking soda sachet you use. Mine read to use 1 tsp for 1 cup of flour.
Ensure to mix/beat all ingredients very smooth and evenly.
Following the perfect measurements and right timing will help in preparing a good cake.
You can replace ragi+wheat flour with maida and jaggery+palm sugar with white sugar too.
I have used home made ragi flour and wheat flour. You can use store bought ones too.
Be careful while removing cake from tray and cutting into pieces.
I have showcased the cake with the cracked top layer.It is used trimmed off and then presented in bakeries.
1 cup here means 250 ml.
Do not use your cooker to make cakes often as they might lead to excess wear and tear.
It turned out soft and yummy. It tasted more like plum cake to me. Do try for yourself and let me know.