Neer Kozhukkattai-This would sound new to most of us (yes including me).I call this an Indian ancestor to our pasta in white sauce.Neer Kozhukkattai is one of the yummiest recipes that my mother in law makes and all of us love.At first, I didn’t have a great liking towards it but now I love it so much that I myself have learned the recipe from her. I am saving the draft of her recipe here today without step by step images as few friends wanted the recipe. When I make it next time I shall click and add it.
Neer Kozhukattai Recipe:
- Idly/Dosa Rice-1 cup
- Gram Dhal/Kadala Paruppu-1/4 cup
- Red Chilly -2
- Salt-To taste
- Water-2-3 cups
- Oil-2 tbsp
- Mustard-1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal-1/4 tsp
- Gram Dhal-1/2 tsp
- Hing-A pinch
Neer Kozhukkattai Recipe:
1.Measure all ingredients and keep them ready.
2. Wash and soak rice, dhal & red chilly for 4 hours.
3. After 4 hours, drain water completely and grind them with some salt.
4. In a mortar & pestle, mash the shallots & garlic coarsely.
5. In a large pan heat oil and add the elements under “To temper”
6. Now add the mashed shallots & garlic, saute till raw smell vanishes.
7. Add 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt, turmeric powder.
8.Close it and allow it to boil in low flame
9. When it begins to boil, make small balls/portions out of the batter and drop into the boiling water(sauce)
10. Repeat the same for the entire quantity of batter.
11.Mix a tbsp of batter in half cup of water and add that too finally
12. Close and cook for 10 minutes in low flame.
13. Gently toss them to allow even cooking of all sides.
14. Close and cook till they turn completely soft and the water turns into a saucy state.
15. Stop cooking when the sauce is thickened and balls have got completely cooked.
16. Serve it warm.
The batter has to be thick. Hence don’t add water while grinding.
You may sprinkle water to enable grinding but the batter should be thick.
Be careful while tossing the kozhukkattais as they might break.
Cook only in low flame when you add them into the water as they might disintegrate and get dissolved.
Adjust chilly as per your taste.
We are adding salt to the batter and the sauce, hence ensure to add the right quantity.
The quantity of water depends on the rice.
Initially add 2 cups of water, if you find the kozhukkattai still not cooked, add boiling water.
Closing and cooking, cooking in the low flame are very important in this recipe.
Skip salt for babies below one year.
This can be offered to babies above 6 months.
Always have a word with your pediatrician before offering any new food to your babies.
Please consider the family history of allergies before trying any new food.
Please do not forget to stay tuned with me by liking my facebook page here or follow me on Twitter or PINTEREST. You can also receive all my recipes in your mailbox by providing your mail id here. Do share this with your kith and kin.If you have a picture of recipe tried from my blog kindly share with me.I will be privileged to share them on my page