Nei Appam Recipe:
Tomorrow is Thirukarthigai or Karthigai Deepam. Amma makes yummy pori (puffed rice) and grandmom makes appam. The house will be illuminated with dreams and will be glowing throughout. The below recipe was done on 25-8-2016. Yeah, it has been more than 2 years. I didn’t post it thinking I would make again and click better pictures. But I have not redone them so far. What are you planning to make for deepam this year? You can try any of the below easy recipes
Nei Appam Recipe:
- Raw Rice-1/2 cup
- Urad Dhal-A handful
- Fenugreek-1/4 tsp
- Salt-As required
- Ghee-To cook
- Jaggery-1/4 cup
1. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
2. Wash and soak raw rice, urad dhal and fenugreek for 3 to 4 hours.
3. Grind it well in a mixer into a smooth batter. Don’t add much water. Just sprinkle water to helps smooth grinding
4. In a saucepan add less than 1/4 cup and dissolve the jaggery.
5. When the jaggery is dissolved, filter it for impurities and add to the batter.
6. Add salt and mix the batter well.
7. Heat a paniyaram pan and grease with ghee.
8. Use a ladle, scoop batter and pour to each hollow.
9. Cover and cook, when done flip sides and cook the other side too.
10. Repeat the same for the remaining batter.
11. Nei Appam is ready to serve.
You can add a pinch of baking soda.
If you have time rest the batter for 2 hours and then make it.
For babies below one year use slightly diluted dates syrup instead of jaggery.
Adjust water as per batter thickness. The batter should not be too thick or too flowy.
The colour depends on the jaggery used.
You can also fry it in oil as I have shown in INSTANT WHEAT FLOUR SWEET APPAM | GODHUMAI APPAM.
Use ghee as much as possible in the paniyaram pan. It just adds on flavour.
Please have a word with your doctor before introducing any new food to babies.
Please do not forget to stay tuned with me by liking my facebook page here or follow me on Twitter or PINTEREST. You can also receive all my recipes in your mail box by providing your mail id here. Do share this with your kith and kin.If you have a picture of recipe tried from my blog kindly share with me.I will be privileged to share them in my page