Karunai Kilangu also called as pidi karunai is one type of yam. It is a part of our weekly menu in my native and when I moved out of it I rarely found it. It is also called senai kilangu in many parts.I remember the debate we had in our lunch table among my beloved friends Joe,Franky,Harini,Senthil and Subash for this vegetables name. Lovely people and lovely days 🙂 I love this vegetable because I have learnt that this is the only type of which does not produce much after effects wrt. to gastrics and it also increases your immunity. Grandmom wrote this recipe by herself and sent it across through mom. The very first time I tried “Vatha Kulambu” was when I had no choice to cook for lunch.
- Gingelly Oil-4 tbsp
- Thick tamarind extract-1 and 1/2 cups
- Karunai Kilangu-4
- Salt-To Taste
- Turmeric Powder-A pinch
To dry roast and grind:
- Red Chilly-4
- Toor dhal-1/2 tbsp
- Coriander seeds-1/2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds-1/2 tbsp
- Urad dhaal-1/2 tbsp
- Curry Leaves
- Wash and cook Karunai Kilangu in pressure cooker.
- Dry roast and grind ingredients to be ground and set it aside.
- Heat a kadai and temper with mustard seeds,urad dhal and curry leaves.
- Add the ground powder and saute well by adding more oil.
- Now add the cooked veggie and add little water.
- Add salt,hing and turmeric powder.
- Let it boil and add tamarind extract after 5 minutes.
- Keep stirring and let it boil until the oil added separates and floats above.
- Serve it hot with rice.
You can cool this and store it a container and use it for a week.
We mix rice with porikadalai thuvayal and then add this kulambu.
You can add brinjal,drumstick,sundakkkai vathal instead of karunaikilangu.
The vegetable should not get mashed.
If you prefer drumstick or brinjal ,saute it well with the ground powder and cook with enough water and add tamarind extract .
Please do not forget to stay tuned with me by liking my facebook page here or follow me on Twitter or PINTEREST. You can also receive all my recipes in your mail box by providing your mail id here. Do share this with your kith and kin.If you have a picture of recipe tried from my blog kindly share with me.I am privileged to share them in my page