Until I tried this curry for the first time I never wished to taste it. I hardly had it in hostel when left with no choice. I first learnt this from mom and given below is her recipe. Later I found a version from Sharmis Passions ,modified as per my taste and tried that with ladies finger.
- Seppankilangu/Colocasia-3 medium sized
- Sour curd-1 cup
- Green chilly-3
- Ginger-A small piece
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tbsp
- Coconut-!/2 cup grated
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tbsp
- Salt-To taste
- Hing-A pinch
- Oil-To cook
- Mustard Seeds-1/2 tbsp
- Urad dhal-1/2 tbsp
- Curry leaves
- Wash and pressure cook colocasia.
- Peel the skin,cut into 2 or 3 pieces and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai and saute green chilly,ginger and garlic.
- Grind grated coconut,cumin seeds and fried green chilly,ginger,garlic into a fine paste.
- Make around 1 and 1/2 cups of buttermilk out the sour curd.
- Add the ground mixture and turmeric powder to this butter milk and mix well.
- In a kadai ,heat oil and allow mustard seeds to spultter.
- Add urad dhal and curry leaves.
- Add the butter milk mixture to the kadai and just heat it in medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Serve it hot with rice.
Do not allow buttermilk to boil.The buttermilk will curdle and spoil the entire dish.
You can add any precooked vegetables like brinjal,bottle gourd,plantain pith instead of colocasia.
To enrich the dish garnish with chopped coriander leaves and fried vadagam.
An interesting ingredient that could be added instead of any vegetables would be paruppu urundai/paruppu vadai.
Please do not forget to stay tuned with me by liking my facebook page here or follow me on Twitter or PINTEREST. You can also receive all my recipes in your mail box by providing your mail id here. Do share this with your kith and kin.If you have a picture of recipe tried from my blog kindly share with me.I am privileged to share them in my page